Diagnostic and treatment procedures performed
Expert urologists, state-of-the-art equipment, and clinical outcomes have earned Tel-Aviv Sourasky Medical Center an outstanding reputation in treating urologic diseases and conditions. Diagnostic and treatment procedures cover the range of invasive surgery, laparoscopic surgery, as well as non-invasive procedures - many performed on an outpatient basis, including:
- Cystoscopies with advanced imaging techniques for treating the bladder condition
- Trans-rectal ultrasound for diagnosing prostate problems
- Doppler ultrasounds for diagnosing sexual dysfunction caused by vascular conditions.
- Urodynamic testing for diagnosing bladder dysfunction
- Invasive and laparoscopic surgery for prostate, bladder, kidney, and testicular cancer.
- Surgery to treat sexual dysfunction and infertility
- Surgery for kidney stones and incontinence
- Urologic operations to correct congenital defects
- Prostate brachytherapy
Specific procedures include:
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) – To treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- Radical prostatectomy – To treat prostate cancer
- Transurethral Resection of Bladder Tumor (TURBT) – To treat bladder cancer
- Ureteroscopy and PCNL (percutaneous nephrolithotomy) – For diagnosis and treatment of conditions such as kidney and ureteral stones
- Treatment for undescended testes (cryptorchidism)
- Brachytherapy – The implantation of radioactive seeds to treat prostate cancer
- Meatotomy – Surgical procedure to repair urethral stricture
- Ureteral stent placement – To treat obstruction of urine flow
- Suprapubic prostatectomy (SPP) and transurethral prostatectomy (TURP) – For benign prostate removal
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy(PCNL) – For kidney stones
- Diagnostic cystoscopy – Endoscopy of the bladder
- Orchidopexy - Repair of undescended testes (cryptorchidism)
- Kidney cancer treatment, mainly laparoscopic
- Testicular cancer treatment
- Bladder cancer treatment
- Prostate cancer treatment
Tel-Aviv Sourasky Medical Center specializes in advanced radioisotope implants for prostate cancer (brachytherapy), which, until now, has been performed almost exclusively in our hospital. This treatment has minimal impact on patient quality of life.
Specialty Robotic Surgery Service
The Urology Department's specialty Robotic Surgery Service offers world-class oncology care and minimally invasive surgery with the new da Vinci Xi Surgical System.
The Department of Urology leads clinical research studies in areas such as: benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), cancers of the prostate and bladder, and sexual dysfunction. To facilitate translational research, the department features the only on-site research lab in Israel that conducts basic prostate cancer.
Collaborative basic science research is conducted with Israeli institutions, such as the Weizmann Institute, Hebrew University, and Tel Aviv University.