The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center (Ichilov) is recognized for its excellent team of highly skilled and world-class expertise in diagnosing and treating breast cancer. Patients from all over the world come to our center for treatment. Our medical professionals deal annually with hundreds of breast cancer cases, and most of them are successfully managed while preserving the breast.
You can always find the best treatment options and solutions at Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, which is rightly considered to be at the forefront of global healthcare, and is known for its commitment to excellence and efficiency.
Breast cancer (malignant breast tumor) is one of the most common types of cancer. The earlier the disease is diagnosed, the more likely it is that it can be successfully managed. Our team of experts is dedicated to providing comprehensive, highly specialized treatment for all types and stages of breast cancer.
Their skill and experience when combined with personalized attention and our access to the latest research and treatments, means that we can offer you the best possible care.
Breast cancer therapy at our center is highly effective, primarily due to precise and speedy diagnostics.
Our doctors diagnose breast abnormalities and provide many diagnostic services including:
- Mammography - following clinical examination by leading specialists, the patient is usually referred for mammography to scan for smaller tumors, not detectable via regular palpation.
- Additional screening for evidence of metastasis can also be performed using the most advanced techniques CT, ultrasound, MRI imaging and PET-CT.
- Breast biopsy - when screening reveals a malignant tumor, a surgical biopsy is performed to collect a sample for histologic evaluation.
- Tomosynthsis - standard mammography procedures enable the detection of malignant breast tumors in 79% of cases; however, in women with higher density of breast tissue, the efficiency of mammography tends to be lower. We recently launched a new, innovative unit that significantly improves the accuracy of breast cancer diagnostics. A new 3D mammography technique called “tomosynthesis” has been implemented, allowing us to take multiple breast images from different angles.
- Contrast-enhanced mammography - an advanced diagnostic technique enabling the detection of tumors in dense breast tissue.
Once the diagnostic process is completed , individualized treatment plans are developed based on the type of cancer, tumor size, margins, growth rate, condition of lymph nodes, etc.
Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center is known for its muldisciplinary approach, providing for a collaborative interaction between many different medical specialties. Our
oncologists, surgeons, radiologists, and other specialists focus their joint effort on developing a comprehensive treatment and rehabilitation plan for each individual patient.
A comprehensive treatment of breast cancer at Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center typically includes hormonal therapy, chemotherapy, biotherapy, radiation therapy, as well as conventional surgeries for the removal of breast tumor (lumpectomy and mastectomy) and lymph nodes.
Surgical Treatment of Breast Cancer
oncological surgeons use the most innovative techniques, allowing the removal of the tumor while preserving the breast. Lumpectomy is a breast-conserving surgery, involving the removal of the tumor and part of the surrounding healthy tissues. This type of surgery is typically performed in the earlier stages, when the tumor size is still small. The laparoscopic techniques used by our surgeons allow them to perform breast reconstruction without implants.
In advanced cases, the affected breast is likely to be removed (either completely or partially). If radical mastectomy is required, then the lymph nodes, fat and muscle tissues of the breast may need to be removed as well. In this case, reconstructive surgery may prove to be the best solution, and mastectomy may be followed by a breast implant procedure.
The innovative microsurgical technologies available at Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center enable our plastic surgeons to successfully perform breast reconstruction procedures. The following techniques can be used for breast reconstruction:
- Breast implants - (silicone or salt) of various shapes, sizes, and volumes
- Tissue expanders for matching the breast shape
- “Tissue patch” – transplanting the fragments of skin, muscle or fat tissues (from abdomen, back or posteriors) to reconstruct the breast shape
- Nipple reconstruction - nipple grafting surgery, etc.
Radiation therapy (radiotherapy) is commonly used after surgery to destroy the remaining cancer cells. Radiotherapy may also be considered as a treatment option in cases where surgical treatment is contraindicated.
At Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center (Ichilov), you’ll find exceptional quality medical care delivered by world-class specialists. You’ll be in safe hands here!
It is also important to note, that the cost of medical treatment at Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center is substantially lower than in the US, Canada, Germany and other countries, yet providing for the highest level of care and maximum comfort.